Sunday, October 15, 2006

Flying High

While flying into Chicago last night for a business trip, a few things struck me that I thought were blog-worthy.

First, travel has become easy, routine. I can remember when getting to the airport, finding your flight, getting to the hotel, etc. was all something that caused stress. I would be on edge pretty much until I arrived at the hotel and had a few moments to sleep. Then I would start worrying all over again the next day, planning out where I needed to be and how I was getting there. Now? Not so much. I've done this enough times that I know the routine. It's become a comfortable dance, one in which I know the steps and no longer have to think so hard about where I'm putting my feet. I travel quite a bit, especially in the last year and a half. I enjoy travel, seeing the world on expense account, and I jump at any opportunity to go somewhere. During the heavy travel seasons, there are times when it feels like I live more in hotels than my own apartment. And I love it. But I didn't realize how easy it has become until yesterday, when I took the time to think about it.

Second, I don't care what city it is, or what it looks like from the ground. At 10,000 feet, at twilight, any city is beautiful. We chased the sunset west yesterday, and it was an amazing view. The bright oranges, pinks, and yellows were vivid in front of us, bleeding into the deep blue of night behind us. Coming into the city, where it was already dark on the ground. everything was lit up, and it was like the ground was sparkling. I was wishing I hadn't packed my camera in the checked luggage so I could snap a few photos, but since I did, you'll just have to take my word for it. There is something almost surreal about flying in at sunset that full daylight or darkness just can't match.

Third, Chicago amuses me. My cab driver from the airport to the hotel beleived he played in the bands of pretty much all the major acts of the era that included the Temptations. And he sang parts of all the big hits from that era that he supposedly participated in. I know he has 8 daughters, all with degrees, and they want him to stop driving a cab, which he does because it is therapy. It wasn't a long cab ride, maybe 10 minutes, but it was one of the more interesting ones I've ever had. Usually the driver either ignores me or talks on the phone. This one was chatty, wanting to talk about music and his past. Well, supposed past. It makes him happy to believe it, and who knows, maybe he really is who he says he is, and knows who he says he knows. I'm not here to judge or make that assessment, all I can do is be highly amused by him. I got out grinning, and that's always a good way to start a trade show, in my opinion.

Well, it is getting time for me to pack away the laptop for hauling to the convention center. Unfortunately, my hotel didn't have any rooms for last night, so I had to stay somewhere else. Which means I get to haul my luggage to the show, find a place to leave it, then haul it to the other hotel tonight. Ug. That is really the only downside of this whole trip. My luggage is pretty heavy, I can't ever seem to travel light even when I want to, so dragging it around is never really fun. But by tonight my stuff will be safely ensconced in the room for the rest of the trip, and things will be much easier. Until then, it's almost time for me to go catch the shuttle and start my day. Whoever scheduled an 8am press conference should be shot.